Sleeps: 6 +cot.
Sorry no pets.
VisitBritain: 4 Stars.
Prices: £385 - £599 pw.
For further details please contact:
Vanessa Holland - See our Facebook page
Tel: 01538 308205
Last minute vacancies during weeks:Reload this mapPhotos above: Orchids on the top pasture (left) and Wild garlic in the woods behind the cottage (above right).
7 Dec, 14 Dec, 4 Jan, 11 Jan
The Orchards nestles peacefully on the valley side overlooking the River Manifold, close to the pretty village of Ilam near Ashbourne.
The Orchards is based on a working farm, with beef cattle and sheep. We have almost 200 acres of land with varying habitats - permanent pasture, woods and copses, lush meadows, cliff faces, marshy areas and a river. It is a perfect place for wild creatures and a wonderful place to explore.
- It has the most amazing views towards Dovedale and beyond.
- Bluebells and wild garlic carpet the woods behind the cottage and orchids abound on the barnfield.
- Watch the wildlife right from the cottage window or take a walk on the wild side and maybe glimpse a badger, fox or deer.
- Birdlife in this quiet valley is diverse, from tiny tree creepers to flashy kingfishers, ravens and majestic red kites. Do bring your binoculars.
- If you are a walker then this is Paradise. Riverside strolls, moorland rambles, hiking up the hills, rock-climbing and everything in between. And there are miles of scenic tarmac trails for wheelchair users. Bike hire and riding stables locally.
- The National Trust South Peak estate (just a mile away) holds regular activities in and around the glorious Ilam Park. From a Fungus Foray to Bangers and Bats and Ghost walks in the Deep Dark Wood - there is always something exciting for families to see and do.
- Take a trip down memory lane - pick blackberries for your jam, sloes for your gin, dig up pignuts in the pastures and collect mushrooms in the meadows.
- Buy your puddings at Bakewell, walk in the footsteps of Mr Darcy at Chatsworth or the magnificent Russell Crowe as Robin Hood in Dovedale!
- Go native and visit the Sheepdog Trials, the Manifold Show and Ilam village fete.
- And of course, if you really must, Alton Towers is just 6 miles.
- From mid-March to the end of April do a 'Kate Humble' and watch the Lambing Live.
- Let the children feel the velvet of a lamb's ear, stroke its tight curly coat and listen to a mother sheep talking to her babies.
- In late April there may be orphan lambs to bottle feed.
- In June and July, watch farmer Vic shear his sheep and have a go at fleece-wrapping.
- The cottage is also perfect as a romantic hideaway with cosy log fire and special deals for couples.
- Imagine yourselves counting the stars in a velvet-black sky or lying in front of a crackling fire with a glass of mulled wine....
We run the business in an eco-friendly way and we have participated in village and district schemes to further improve our green efforts.
Sample and savour some of the delicious local foods we hold in stock, e.g. dry-cured bacon and sausage from Over Haddon, healthy honey from here in the valley or scrummy treacle tart like granny used to make. By buying from local producers, you help support the rural economy which in turn helps keep the Peak District a wonderful place for all to enjoy.
Staying at The Orchards gives you that 'feel-good' factor in more ways than one! We really look forward to meeting you.Please note:
- There are nine steps up to the front door, but once inside, all rooms are on one level. Contact us if you would like to view an Access Statement.
- If children wish to visit the farm, they MUST be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- Wide entrance hall with polished oak floor.
- Living room - warm and welcoming with a real fire and comfy sofas.
- Sunny, oak-floored dining room. Definitely a room with a view with two picture windows.
- Handmade kitchen, washing machine, microwave, food processor, fridge/freezer etc. Stable doors lead out onto surrounding lawns.
- Stylish bathroom with over bath shower.
- There are three bedrooms to sleep six people:
- one double with orchard and woodland views
- one twin which catches the morning sun
- one with full-sized bunk beds, a smart little room which is ideal for children but ample for adults.
- The property is owner-managed and cleanliness is paramount.
- It is heated throughout by storage radiators and is double glazed.
- Every room has a stunning view.
- There is a garage for one car, plus parking.
Photo on right:
- All fuel costs, logs and an initial supply of coal for the fire.
- All linen and towels.
- A cot and highchair - available on request.
View from the Double Bedroom
Photography - E. Rokita, F. Smith