THE OLD FORGE
Suffolk / Norfolk border
Sleeps: 4 (+ 1 small child on fold down bed).
Maximum 2 large dogs, or 3 small dogs - subject to conditions - please call before booking.
Prices from £315 per week and short lets from (3 nights) £215.
Yew Tree Cottage, Yew Tree Barn, Metfield, Harleston, Suffolk Norfolk border, sleeps 2
For further details please contact:
Mr and Mrs Robertson
Tel: 01986 782575 or 07793948954
Telephone calls from canvassers and sales people trying to sell advertising space are not welcome.
Last minute vacancies during weeks:Reload this mapThe Old Forge is situated in the heart of an attractive conservation village and area of Redgrave on the borders of Norfolk and Suffolk. It is a beautiful Georgian cottage which has been sympathetically restored to a very high standard. Original period features include inglenook fireplaces, brick floors, it's heavily beamed and there are feature bread/faggot ovens. There is a 100ft established country garden to the rear, which is enclosed when the gates are shut. There is a small drive for 1 large car or two small cars, and on street parking.
27 Sep, 4 Oct, 11 Oct, 18 Oct, 25 Oct
Local Attractions - a taster:
- Redgrave has a rich history, and former residents of the village include the 16th/17th century philosopher and statesman Francis Bacon.
- The village is situated close to the Wildlife Trust's Redgrave and Lopam Fen, which is the source of both the Rivers Waveney and Little Ouse. There are numerous footpaths and bridleways for walkers and dogs alike. Not too far is the wonderful Wortham Common - not the part transversed by the A143.
- Redgrave has a small village shop and good local pub. There are other local amenities in neighbouring villages Botesdale/ Rickinghall. Diss, 6 miles, has 3 major supermarkets and numerous local stores.
- The internationally renowned Bressingham Steam and Gardens is 2 miles.
- The historic market towns of Diss, Harleston, Stowmarket and Bury St Edmunds are in the surrounding area.
- The 18th century Theatre Royal in Bury St Edmunds has recently been restored/ reopened.
- Wyken Vineyards -approximately 20 min drive has a country store, gardens as well as excellent cafe/restaurant.
- Historic church St Mary's, Redgrave, which is owned by the Churches Conservation Trust, boasts Henry VIII's advisor Cardinal Wolsey amongst its former Rectors, and includes some of the best brasses in East Anglia. In July 2010 national and local news reported the discovery of vaults and tunnels dating back to the 16th century.
- The area is excellent for walking and cycling in undisturbed conservation countryside or for touring around viewing its fantastic scenery, local history and other attractions.
The property is a two storey Georgian cottage comprising:
- Lounge: Inglenook fireplace with wood burner, beams, original wooden beamed ceiling and brick floors- rugs on floors. Victorian 3 piece suite, other furniture and TV/DVD with Freeview.
- Dining Room: with large antique pine dresser, antique table and chairs. Wood burning stove, inglenook fireplace and original brick floors- rugs on floors.
- Kitchen: fully fitted and very well equipped with Fridge/freezer, microwave oven, water softener, dishwasher, built in oven and hob unit. Original bread/faggot ovens and wooden ceiling/ beams are a feature.
- Downstairs Cloakroom/Utility room. Washing machine, butler's sink and loo.
- Conservatory overlooking the garden with cane suite and side tables.
- Bed 1 - King size wrought- iron style bed, feature chimney breast, abundance of beams, wardrobe and other ancillary furniture.
- Bed 2 - twin beds with walk in wardrobe, abundance of beams and ancillary furniture.
- Bathroom - bath, separate shower, washbasin and toilet. Bamboo flooring.
- 100 ft country style garden with lawn and flowerbeds fenced or walled in. Not overlooked.
- Large decked area for dining al fresco. BBQ.
- Garden table and chairs.
- Small drive: Maximum 1 large or 2 small cars.
Sleep 4 + 1 extra by arrangement on fold down bed, to suit child of 10 or under.