Sleeps: 4 +child's cot.
Dogs welcome for a small weekly fee.
VisitEngland: 3 Stars.
Low season: £292 - £375 pw.
High season: £360 - £450 pw.
Secluded cosy cottage hideaway in idyllic rural setting.
For further details please contact:
Mr Tim Rolt
Tel: 01225 422856
Last minute vacancies during weeks:Reload this mapOrchard Cottage has a simple one floor layout. It will sleep four, ideally two adults and two children, with two full sized single beds (can on request be made into a double) in the main bedroom and two full sized bunk beds in the smaller bedroom. In addition to the electric wall heaters there is a wood burning stove with a good supply of wood and coal to keep you snug.
Orchard Cottage has a private and peaceful position in the grounds of a 14th century hall house which was the home to the writer and engineer LTC Rolt. The cottage stands in an old fruit orchard where some of the great perry pear trees so characteristic of this slope of the Cotswolds still survive. It has its own enclosed south facing private garden with rural views all around. Fresh limestone spring water makes incomparable tea, and a small group of pure-bred Cotswold bred sheep graze nearby. Here wildlife is to be found in abundance; Woodpeckers and many other bird species are frequent visitors, along with Muntjac and Roe deer. Orchard Cottage is situated in the delightful Cotswolds, famous for beautiful views and walks.
Stanley Pontlarge, 3 miles from Winchcombe, is an excellent centre for all Midland expeditions. Tewkesbury, Cheltenham, Stroud, etc all have Festivals of Music, Literature, Arts and Crafts. Famous Prescott Hill Climb is nearby as is the heritage railway of Gloucestershire and Warwickshire Steam Railway.
- Cot (travel) available but guests must provide own linen/duvet for this. (High chair also available).
- All linen and towels are included in the price.
- All fuel and electricity is included in the rent.
- Own off road parking.
- Seclusion and peace are offered except from a small and occasional steam railway nearby.
- Books and maps available in the cottage.
- Many local walks.
- Rare Cotswold sheep graze the orchard.
Enjoy the beautiful views and walks that the Cotswolds are famous for.
- When you arrive at Stanley Pontlarge, Orchard Cottage is set back from the road in the grounds of the first house you come to after passing under the railway bridge.
- There is a private parking space below the wooden garage just before you reach this first house. (For easiest access to the parking space, continue up to the top of the road, and turn round.)
- From the parking space, a gravel and grass path runs fifty metres to a small gate leading into the orchard where the cottage is. From the gate, the path runs a further twenty-five metres to the front door of the cottage. The path climbs quite steeply at one point, making the property, sadly, not easily accessible to wheelchair users.
- There is a private and secluded garden with a picnic table, and separate table and chairs ideal for alfresco dining or simply relaxing. The garden can be accessed directly through the patio doors from the living room.
- All rooms are on one level. All light switches are at 1350mm; sockets at 900mm.
- All doors are at least 700mm width and internal doors are of waxed pine.
- The bathroom has a cast iron bath with an overhead shower.
- There are wall mounted electric heaters in the sitting room and bedroom one, and separate free-standing electric heaters. The sitting room is equipped with a highly effective multi-fuel burner for winter tenants. This also heats the water (please see separate operating instructions in the cottage.)
- A smoke alarm is fitted in the bedroom. The kitchen is equipped with a fire blanket and fire extinguisher.
- Lighting is good throughout, with wall switches and separate light switches, in the living room and bedrooms, making for flexible and attractive lighting options.
- The TV/DVD has free view accessed via the remote control.
- The attractive interiors include; fitted carpets, original artwork, (many of local interest), natural materials, period furniture, wool rugs, a library of books, many of local interest.
- Bedroom one has two single beds, bedroom two has bunk beds for two.
- There are occasional passing steam railway trains (weekends only) on the preserved Gloucester & Warwickshire Railway. This passes approximately 150 metres from the house.
- Orchard Cottage is situated on the lower slopes of Stanley Mount; the hill and its many footpaths, can be accessed on foot directly from the cottage.
- The house is set well back from the road in an old Perry pear orchard. It is exceptionally peaceful and secluded with seasonal sounds such as lambs and birds all around.
- There is no passing traffic.