MAYLAND FARM COTTAGE
Woodland, Near Hamsterley Forest,
Bishop Auckland, Co. Durham, DL13 5NH
Sleeps: 4 - 5 +cot.
Pets by arrangement.
Visit Britain: 4 Star.
Low season £230 - £290 pw.
High season £300 - £430 pw.
For further details please contact:
Susan or John Mortimer
Tel: 01388 718237
Reload this mapThis attractive, spacious stone built bungalow overlooks the magnificent Hamsterley Forest which is only 400 yards away and is situated midway between Teesdale and Weardale in one of England's most beautiful and unspoilt areas.
The cottage adjoins the owner's home and is on a working hill farm with cattle and sheep. One mile away is the small village of Woodland where there is a pub, a village store with an extensive range of goods and where there is a Post Office outreach service on Mondays from 1.30pm to 3.30pm.
The cottage provides an ideal location to visit the many local places of interest the iconic University City of Durham with its Norman Cathedral and Castle is a world heritage site and well worth a visit. The Cathedral set on the rocky outcrop next to the Castle and the medieval city huddled below with the River Wear sweeping around is a memorable sight.
High Force is England's highest unbroken waterfall set in the stunning scenery of the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty make it a beautiful walk to the Falls.
Seven miles away is the charming market town of Barnard Castle where the Bowes Museum is situated a French style chateau which houses an outstanding collection of fine and decorative art is a must visit attraction.
There are many other places all within easy reach of the cottage Beamish Museum, Killhope, Auckland Castle, Raby Castle to name but a few.
Alternatively on your doorstep is the 2000 hectare Hamsterley Forest a fantastic playground for adults and children alike with miles of walks, cycle routes and horse riding trails. There are 2 pony trekking facilities near the village of Hamsterley, 3 miles away, At the Bedburn area of the forest is a visitor centre and there are picnic facilities throughout the forest. For the more serious sports enthusiast, there is one of the country's leading mountain bike tracks less than a mile from the cottage and there is also a range of tracks to suit all abilities. Bikes can be hired in the forest. The Descend Bike Park website gives more information. Hamsterley Forest is a noted area for bird watching where e.g. buzzards, owls and hawks are common. A RSPB survey on the farm in 2010 showed a total of 51 species of birds on the farm.
Otherwise just relax in and around the cottage and enjoy the peace and tranquillity of the beautiful North Pennines..Accommodation comprises:
- Large, comfortable lounge with electric coal effect fire.
- Well equipped and recently refurbished fitted kitchen.
- Pleasant dining room.
- Two double bedrooms with fitted furniture.
- Fully tiled bathroom recently refurbished with white suite, shower and shaver point.
- Utility room.
ACCESS STATEMENT AVAILABLE ON REQUEST
- Easy access with one step into the bungalow and then on one level throughout.
- All linen and towels provided.
- Oil central heating throughout.
- Heating and electricity included in tariff.
- Internet Access is available but there is a limited usage on the service. It is suitable for e-mails and internet access browsing usage but does not have the capacity for streaming television, downloading films or games. The weekly cost is £15.
- Electric cooker, microwave, fridge/freezer, kettle, toaster, dishwasher, automatic washer, iron, ironing board, hair dryer, TV, video/DVD player.
- Parking for 2 cars adjacent to cottage.
- Small garden with garden furniture.
- A cot and also a single guest bed is available upon request.