Low season £350 pw.
High season £450 pw.
Mini break/long weekend rates can be negotiated.
Available from May 2013.
For further details please contact:
Reload this mapHare Cottage is a 3 bedroom stone farmhouse perched on a hillside with stunning views in the middle of a 40 acre hill farm. Guests are welcome to explore the land via a series of signposted walks. The Cottage sleeps five in comfort and has full oil central heating and a large wood burning stove in main room. An ample supply of logs are provided.
The cottage is set on a quiet hillside with spectacular mountain views to the front and rear. The owner lives next door in a new annexe to the cottage and visitors are welcome to use the clearly marked footpaths to explore the 40 acre farm which grazes sheep, cattle and pigs. Visitors are able to feed the lambs and pigs in season by arrangement. The hillside is also host to a wide range of wildlife, Kestrels, Pine Marten, Brown hare, Cuckoo, Barn owl and Pipestrelle bats have all be observed in first two weeks of April 2013. All you have to do is sit quietly out the front and wait.
- Heating inclusive (£30 of heating oil provided free)
- We can negotiate rates for short breaks
- Pets are welcome (except on beds/furniture). Please provide your own dog rug.
- The cottage is five miles from Newport, the coast and the Greenway cycle path (Ireland's longest cycle path) which can be followed either to Westport or Mulranny/Achill. It is also close to Burrishoole Loop Walks and is an ideal base for exploring the area.
- Croagh Patrick, the Holy Mountain with spectacular views of Clew Bay and its 365 islands can be reached from just outside Westport.
- The cottage is 5 miles from the unspoiled Atlantic coast and many Blue Flag beaches. It is just under 1 hour's drive from Knock International airport in the west of Ireland which has regular flights from all main UK and several European airports.
- The small scenic, coastal town of Newport is provides with shops, pubs, restaurants and music sessions. The Brown Oak River meets the sea at Newport and fishing boats leave the Quay for Clew Bay and the islands.
- The nearby Westport (the San Francisco of Ireland) has traditional music bars including the famous Matt Molloy's (of Chieftan's fame) and a range of top quality restaurants. The local fresh seafood is not to be missed.
- Shopping, theatre, music venues etc. are also available all nearby at Castlebar a scenic drive around Beltra Lake.
- Sea fishing trips may be arranged from the harbour.
- Golf and river fishing in season are also local amenities.
- There are Indoor swimming pools at Westport Leisure Centre and also The Park Inn Hotel, Mulranny.
- A useful rainy day visit is the Museum of Ireland at Turlough, in nearby Castlebar. This free museum has a wonderful range of exhibits including local folk traditions and customs.
- The cottage is in the middle of a small working hill farm, in the same family for the last one hundred and fifty years. The aim is to keep the land use relatively unchanged and to retain the many original dry stone walls.
- Visitors to the cottage all have the opportunity to explore the farm and take a series of signposted circular walks across the land including some peat bogland with old turf cuttings - seeing how the farming year proceeds and learning about the diverse local plants and wildlife.
- Take wellies or waterproof boots and gaiters if you want to roam freely on the blanket bog as some areas are very wet.
- Oil fired radiators throughout.
- Bedroom 1. - King size bed.
- Bedroom 2. - 2 single beds.
- Bedroom 3. - 1 double bed.
- Travel cot available.
- Main room: Jotul wood-burning stove with basket of logs, Sofa and fireside chairs, SKY TV and Television, Projector for large screen film shows and collection of DVDs.
- Separate toilet.
- Bathroom with electric shower over bath.
- Kitchen has dining area: Electric cooker, Microwave, Kettle, Washing machine, Tumble drier, Iron and ironing board available, Henry vacuum cleaner.
- The cottage provides a restful and peaceful experience - the style is rustic with tiles, rugs and wooden furnishings.
- There is a record player and a good supply of vinyl (and a lead to attach an iPod to the sound system).
- There is also a projector and DVD player for watching films and a growing supply of DVDs.
- Sky TV and Broadband Internet connection is available.
- Dogs are welcome but the owner must keep them on lead or under good control in fields where grazing animals are present.
- Bedding is included - quilts, covers, towels are provided.
- A Travel cot is also available.
We are finishing an annexe on the side of Hare Cottage during the spring / summer of 2013. This should not affect your stay, except that the owner will be available next door to offer help/local advice.
The cottage has self-contained parking and guests have private access to a south-facing garden area with large lawn.
Fresh vegetable basket in season.