THE OLD SCHOOLHOUSE
Borreraig, Dunvegan, Isle of Skye
Sorry no pets.
Price from £280 - £490 pw,
For further details please contact:
Norbert and Elke Steffen (owners)
Tel: 0049 2051 802950
Last minute vacancies during weeks:Reload this mapOr contact:
25 Feb, 4 Mar, 11 Mar, 18 Mar, 25 Mar, 1 Apr
Debbie Dean (keyholder)
Tel: 01470 511778
The Old Schoolhouse is a cosy, 3 bedroom (one double, two single) holiday home situated in the rough northwestern part of the Isle of Skye. The front rooms provide a magnificent view to Loch Dunvegan with its exceptional white coral beaches. To the North across the open sea you can spot the Outer Hebrides, to the South you can see the famous MacLeod's Tables and the Cuillin Mountains.
In 1881 the school and adjacent dwelling house were constructed at Borreraig. We know from the locals that there were times when more than one hundred children were educated here. The school closed down in the sixties due to a concentration policy. The MacCrimmons, today Canadian, took over the premises and started the world famous Piping Museum. The wardens usually lived in the dwelling house. In the nineties the museum was sold and finally closed in 1999. Now the former dwelling house is your prospective holiday home.
There are no extra charges for electricity, bed linen and towels.
- The living room with its open fire and marvellous view will surely be your favourite room to sit in. TV with Skye freeview satellite reception, DVD player, a lot of books, DVDs, board games and jigsaws for the children and a portable radio/cassette as well as information on places of interest, wildlife, sports, restaurants and many more.
- Kitchen: with double oven cooker, microwave, fridge/freezer, dishwasher, coffee maker, cordless kettle, toaster and hand mixer as well. You will find sufficient cutlery, crockery and cooking utensils. Utility room with washing machine, tumble dryer, iron and ironing board.
- The first floor has got a double bedroom with king size bed and a cosy single one, both looking to the sea. Another spacious single bedroom and the bathroom are located to the rear.
- New bathroom with toilet, hand basin and shower.
- Heating is by electricity.
- Free WiFi.
Sorry, no pets and non smoking.
About the house, about Borreraig and its history
In the old days the Clan MacLeod of Dunvegan ruled the North of Skye. Today Dunvegan Castle, lying opposite Loch Dunvegan is renowned as the oldest inhabited home in the UK. In 1595, the then MacLeod of Dunvegan Ruaraidh Mór and Sir Iain MacCrimmon, a famous piper and composer, signed the Deed of Friendship and it was during Ruaraidh Mór's lifetime that the MacCrimmons became hereditary pipers to the Chiefs of the Clan MacLeod. In return the MacCrimmons were given land at Borreraig and Galtrigill. The famous Piping College was founded here. Nowadays the Piping College is in Edinburgh but a cairn at Borreraig still commemorates the past times. Traditionally every student is expected to play at the Pipers Cairn once in his life. Thus it isn't uncommon to hear the faint sound of pipes from time to time.